Summer Dresses part Three

For this dress I used simplicity 2648.  I chose this because of Eugenia’s versions here and here

I chose an Indian hand blocked cotton from Our Patterned Hand (the one called natural fern on black) and some lovely glossy buttons.

As per the measurements on the back of the pattern I cut a size 14 but the toile I made was vast, tent size! I then cut a 12 which was also huge.  Eventually I went down to a 10 but then had to let out the seams as it was too small.

So after three toiles I made up the final garment in double quick time. Following the problem I had with my maxi-dress I used an ordinary zip rather than try another invisible zip. I also used quite a lot of French seams (and learnt that French seams don’t work on curved pieces!).

The good bits.  I’m very pleased with this dress.  It’s comfortable to wear and I love the fabric.  The inside looks neat and tidy which is important to me.

The bad bits.  Despite three toiles I still have some fitting problems.  If I were to make it again (definitely a possibility) I would add a bit extra across the back and also at the top of the princess seams. It’s not unwearable but it is slightly tight.  Also I chose to use the curvy skirt pattern whereas I think I am really more of an average fit.  Again not too bad but a learning point for the future.