Inari Tee Dress

  

This is my Inari Tee Dress from Named Patterns.  Having researched it round the internet I see that lots of bloggers have been making this pattern and I am rather late to the party.  I particularly liked Charlie’s version and her description of it being the perfect winter uniform. Somehow she always manages to find the most perfect fabric

 I shamefully copied Karen by making my dress out of crepe.  Mine came from Dragonfly Fabrics and is one of the nicer crepes I’ve found.  I think it’s the viscose content that makes it so soft and rather more breathable than the polyester crepes I’ve used in the past. The upside with polyester crepes is that you get that wonderful colour saturation, this is a more muted, almost heathery colour.

Some bloggers have commented on how the sleeves can be a bit tight on this pattern  and with my muscular (ahem) arms I decided it was worth adding a couple of centimetres to the width.  I also took out a couple of centimetres from my upper chest which is an adjustment I commonly require.  I’m not sure this was completely necessary.

So what do I think?  Well I love the shape, it’s comfortable and modern is a Cos sort of way – a stylish dress for grown ups. As always the success is in the details; the cocoon shape, the seams that wrap around to the front, the side slits and change in hem length.

 The only thing I might change is the sleeves.  The cuffs make it quite bulky under the arm and prevent me from putting a cardigan or jacket over the top, fortunately I can wear t-shirt underneath so I haven’t frozen to death yet.

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Inari Tee Dress

  1. An interesting review Jane, thank you . It looks like a nice basic tunic – I especially like the hem treatment. As it fits so well it may be worth making a second one with a change to the sleeves. Glad you feel warm enough to take your shoes and socks off – I’m freezing!!

  2. I am eagerly awaiting this pattern ( and the Liesl @ co maritime top) from an Internet supplier. Hope it arrives today ! I love your version and appreciate your helpful comments on fabric choice. I am glad that you went into this design with an awareness of the sleeve issue. I am not sure what I’ll do yet. I saw someone suggest converting it into a dolman sleeve and someone else suggested morphing another similar pattern onto the sleeve area with ” better ” fitting sleeves. I’ll see ! Anyway I love your version and the way you styled it. ( loved Karen’s too )

    Janice

      • I have now made a muslin and the solution that worked for me was as follows – New Look 6217 and Simplicity 1366 were my contenders for drafting on to the top section of Inari. I chose Simplicity because I wanted a set in sleeve. In blending the 2 patterns together I lost the concave curve at top of Inari front ( underarm area). However for me this was part of original fitting problem and using other pattern for top area does not hugely affect finished look of dress. The sleeve needs shortening obviously. I also decided to do a full bust adjustment,which in the process created a small bust dart. This gives a better fit for me . My adjustments , although not perfect, are pretty near it and give a much improved fit. I have decided to order some of
        ” your ” viscose crepe for my final version of this dress !
        I love this pattern and plan to make a few – so stylish and comfortable.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s