Summer dresses part two

Encouraged by the success of my Make Lounge dress I decided to make a maxi dress and chose Simplicity 2362.  Like Miss Dibs I had seen the fabric display in John Lewis along with the pattern.

So I made my first ever toile. The bodice was quite difficult to fit and I ended up by taking out several inches around the top of the bra bit and in particular in the centre, leaving the fullest part of the bodice alone.  I also decided the arm straps were not for me so I made a very simple strap just wide enough so I can wear an ordinary bra underneath.

So here it is, another dodgy photo!

The good bits: I was very pleased with the fit.  It took quite a bit of time to get there but I think it works well.  I love the pockets – other bloggers have made similar comments – before I made the dress I was thinking why all the fuss about the pockets but actually they are very nice.

The bad bits:  Unfortunately I couldn’t get my invisible zipper to go in invisibly.  I now realise that the sewing shop in Ipswich sold me a foot which is just too light to work properly.  At the time I thought it was just me.  Also, again, I used quilting fabric which is a bit stiff so the dress sticks out a bit at the front.  If I were to make it again I’d use a much lighter cotton to get a more bohemian, drapey effect.

Advertisements

One thought on “Summer dresses part two

  1. Pingback: New Look 6000 | Jane's Sew & Tell

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s